Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Aussie Film Trailer – Tomorrow When the War Began

OK, I’m a bit late on this one, as the teaser trailer was released over the weekend, but this is one Aussie film (made with a fair bit of Paramount’s money) that I have huge, huge hopes for.

Tomorrow When the War Began, is the adaptation of the crazily popular John Marsden young adult fiction novel, and it is aimed squarely at the key movie going demographic – teenagers. This is a film that if successful will produce more than a couple sequels (there are seven novels in the “Tomorrow” series).

For those who don’t know the story, it’s about Australia being invaded by another country and a group of friends having to become resistance fighters – it’s kind of Red Dawn minus the America is the greatest, Russia is evil bull.

The teaser trailer ticks all the boxes. It starts out looking very cheesy – almost as Luke Buckmaster writes at Crikey – like a “shampoo commercial”. And then it changes into an action film.

As ever I showed it to my wife; (she is a big action film fan) and she was full of “Whoah! Looks cool!” And I have to admit I want to see the film as well, and I know were I a teenager, this would be a film I’d be counting down the days to see – especially as it obviously will appeal to both males and females.

It opens September 2 here, not sure when it will open in America. One concern for the film there is that a remake of Red Dawn is being set for release on November 24 and, in an ironic twist, stars two Australian actors, Chris Hemsworth and Isobel Lucas.

No comments: